How to wash down jackets?
Can down jackets be washed in a washing machine? And which program should they be washed on? In Bergans, we often get questions about the washing and maintenance of down jackets. In this article, we guide you through the best way to wash a down jacket so that it retains its shape and function!
Down jackets should be machine washed as little as possible. If there is a stain, you can try to spot clean it. If it has acquired a strong smell, such as the smell of a bonfire, good ventilation can often be enough to get rid of the smell. But if it is dirty, you can clean the down jacket yourself with a good washing machine and tumble dryer!
How to wash down jackets in the washing machine:
- Check the washing instructions. There you will find all the information you need
- Remove any stains before washing in the washing machine
- Close all zippers, buttons and Velcro. Remember to empty the pockets!
- Turn the jacket inside out and put it in the washing machine. Do not fill more than half the machine with clothes
- Use mild detergent and avoid fabric softener. Use only 1/3 of the usual amount
- Wash on a mild washing program (max. 30 degrees), and rinse at least five times to remove all detergent residues
- Immediately after washing, put the jacket in the dryer together with 4-5 tennis balls. These help to give the down its airiness back, and to distribute the down evenly throughout the jacket
- Tumbledry at a maximum of 60 degrees until the jacket is completely dry. Shake the jacket during drying
- Hang the jacket for airing to remove the last remaining moisture
- Finally, shake and pat the jacket to distribute the down throughout the jacket
Hope this helps you maintain your down jacket. If you have any questions, our customer service will be happy to help you!