How to wash a shell jacket?
If your shell jacket or shell trousers are dirty, or the outermost shell gets wet from light rain, it is time for a wash and re-impregnation. If you are unsure how to do it, you should read on here.
Many people believe that shell clothing should not be washed, but in order to maintain the functionality and properties of the shell jacket or shell trousers, regular maintenance is necessary. If dirt and grime are allowed to stick to the outer fabric of a shell garment over time, the garment's function will be impaired. When it is washed and re-impregnated, the jacket's waterproofness and breathability are maintained.
So although we recommend not washing your hiking clothes too much, it is important to regularly maintain your shell clothes.
How to wash and treat the shell jacket:
- Check the garment's washing instructions. Here you get all the necessary information
- Close all buttons and zippers, loosen all elastic cords and fasten all Velcro fasteners. Remember to empty the pockets
- Remove any stains before washing the garment in the machine
- Turn the garment inside out and place the garment in the washing machine. Do not fill the washing machine more than half full
- Use a medium dose of liquid detergent for dark clothes. Too much detergent can clog the pores in the membrane. Avoid fabric softener!
- Choose a washing program that matches the garment's washing instructions. If the information has been removed from the washing instructions, go for 30 or 40 degrees on a gentle washing programme. Max 800 spins on centrifugation
- When the wash is finished, take the garment out as soon as possible
- Turn the garment right side out again. Avoid twisting the garment. Then hang to dry
- When the garment is dry, you should re-impregnate the garment. This will make the garment more water-repellent and provide good breathability, thus giving the garment a long life
Hope this helps you maintain your shell clothes. If you have any questions, our customer service will be happy to help you!